Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Primer Problems


Photo via.

Sometimes drugstore makeup works. Sometimes, it works even better than its high-end competitors, and beauty bloggers everywhere announce that such-and-such a product is set to give its more expensive counterpart run for its money. This is not one of those times.

As a blogger, I think that it's important to point out your favorite things to your readers--I've been known to shout my love for certain products from the rooftops, even (Dior Crème de Rose, I'm looking at you)--but I think that it's equally important to let people know when an item disappoints you, particularly if said item has been over-hyped in the media. Such was the case for me upon purchasing Revlon's Photoready Perfecting Primer.

Now, I don't mind dishing out upwards of $50 for a fantastic primer--in fact, my winter HG is Hourglass' No. 28--but I thought it would be nice to try out something that wouldn't make quite such a dent in my wallet. After much research, I settled on Revlon's offering, largely because a wide variety of beauty bloggers who've earned my utmost respect raved about the product. Ten bucks and a trip to CVS later (okay, it was closer to eleven), I had a primer in my pocket and a smile on my face.

I was really quite excited try it, so much so that I even woke up early the next morning because I just couldn't wait any longer. I finished up my morning skincare rituals, slapped on some SPF (as I do every day), and pumped some into my hand. I was ready for some magic to happen. Then I smoothed it onto my face.

This primer pilled worse than one of my grandma's old cashmere sweaters. Now, pilling on those is sentimental and kinda cute, but on my face? Not so much. Quite surprising, considering claims from lovely bloggers like the Muse, who experienced quite the opposite.

My verdict? Skip it. I am not above including drugstore makeup/skincare in my makeup bag--in fact, I'm about ready to declare that my HG mascara by Make Up for Ever has been replaced for almost a quarter of the price--but sometimes, the high-end brands just do it better. Of course, I haven't tried Maybelline's Baby Skin primer...yet.

Katy xx

No comments :

Post a Comment