Saturday, February 8, 2014

THE REVIEW // MAC Viva Glam Rihanna



Who doesn't love a good red for a good cause? (Red lip, that is, not wine ;))

Recently--21st January, to be exact--MAC unveiled the much-anticipated Viva Glam Rihanna collection, comprised of a lipstick and a lip gloss, each described as a "blue-red with a frost finish". For those who missed out on the coveted Riri Woo, another stunning red that came and went sooner than you can say "Stay", this duo certainly does not disappoint!


This time, MAC chose to place Rihanna's name on the packaging, rather than the product. They also surprised MAC devotees with a departure from the iconic black bullet, opting instead for a frosted metallic red worthy of Rihanna's seal of approval. The packaging alone makes these collector's items!

I've always loved lipstick. I usually hate lip gloss, but in an effort to expand my cosmetic horizons in 2014, I purchased both. They were too pretty not to! Here are some swatches, with flash, indoor and natural lighting, respectively:


To the left, we have a swatch of the lipstick. In one pass, it's not perfectly opaque, but as you can see from the middle swatch, a few coats builds this baby up to maximum power. To the right, we've got the lipgloss. Stickier than I'd prefer, but I was sort of expecting it. The formula looks stunningly reflective on the lips, but beauty can be sticky, I suppose! I think that the flash captures the gloss most accurately in terms of color, but the natural and indoor lighting better conveys the frost in the lipstick. Here's how the lipstick looks on:


It really is a lovely red. Now, you could stop here, and wear it alone, but--and this is coming from a gloss hater--I truly think that the lipglass takes this look to a whole new level. The difference is akin to a red delicious apple next to a candied one.


Boom! Even despite my lip gloss embargo of sorts, there was no learning curve for me on this one. It looked like patent leather on my lips, and I loved it immediately. Only after I purchased these beauties did I think to try the gloss on its own. After putting any venus fly trap-esque, hair-eating images out of my mind, I went for it. And hey, the stickiness isn't so bad. It might even be *gasp* worth it!

The MAC Viva Glam Rihanna collection is available in stores and online at MAC, Nordstrom, Macy's and Bloomingdale's.

xx Katy

14 comments :

  1. It's Nikki from BT!!! Following you love<3

    And now I'm running off to buy these two lippies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki! Thank you so much. And yes, do run! :)

      Delete
  2. I keep telling people they're going to pop open random drawers in my apartment and find these squirreled away. :) - ladymeag, now following you via RSS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I haven't yet purchased a backup, but I can see something like that in my future. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hey girl! Loving your blog and wanting these lippies! :)

    <3 Jenn/jellybean917

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenn! They are certainly a worthwhile investment. Get 'em before MAC raises its prices again! ;)

      Delete
  4. gorgeous color! and great posts :)
    ♥ roxystar4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxy, thank you! It is a wonderful shade :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Katy,
    What a WOW way to kick off your blog. I have a depraved love of red lipstick and these offerings from MAC look like I must own them-NOW! I am looking forward to following you in all things beautiful.
    Garnett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Garnett! If you're a red lip lover, you certainly need this in your stash :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I've never felt comfortable in a red lip, but the picture with lipstick + gloss makes me want to run to the mall NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run, run! Well, you can walk...they'll be there for a while ;)

      Delete
  7. You sexy little minx! I'll only buy these if I can have the lips to go with them. :)

    <3 Your favorite 'Babe

    ReplyDelete